Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Changing bad habits

Food has been mostly pleasure and comfort to me for the last seven years or so, and despite knowing better, I have eaten an immense amount of crap food for some time.  I know exactly what I need to do to lose weight, improve my health....I just don't do it.  Everyone likes to talk about this diet and that exercise program and this pill.  The bottom line is, I like to eat more than I like to move.  Period.  It's like watching Dr. Phil...he sits there and tells people how to conduct their lives - and they should ALREADY KNOW, if they had any common sense, which they obviously don't.  Or, maybe it's just easier to be a schmuck.  So I guess, for some time now, I found it easier to be lazy and buy larger clothes.  But in the last six months, it's finally become an issue for me.  It's easy to say that I don't care about the aesthetics - but frankly, that's a lie.  Because I don't even want people taking pictures of me at this weight.  I say I would like to lose weight for my health, and to have some more energy, but looks aren't the issue - well, that's half true.  Being fat sucks.  I do care about how I look, but it's been easier to just look in the mirror less. 

I'm done.

I think that the beginning of my battle is learning to look at food as fuel, and not as pleasure, comfort or reward.  It seems like a simple thing - but I'm pretty sure it's easier said than done.  I will need to find new ways to treat myself.  I will get off my ass everyday and move.  I will stop eating everything in the house when I'm stressed, or bored, or hormonal (which, thanks to perimenopause, is EVERY FREAKIN' DAY).  I'm looking for tools to help me with this process - I want a healthy relationship with food again.  Hmmmm....maybe getting out of the natural food business wasn't a good idea after all.  :)  So if any of you have any ideas, feel free to pass them along.  I need all the help I can get.

I was planning to post my weight on here, and track it as it drops....but frankly, I'm too embarrassed to post my starting weight.  Which should tell me something, don't you think?  However, as this process goes on, I will post my losses and triumphs - and sometimes, my backward slides.

Goal #1 - lose 20 pounds by March 31st.  We will be heading for Mexico for Smitty's wedding, and if I need to stand on the beach in a sundress, I would rather not have people exclaim "What kind of whale is that on the beach?" when they look at the wedding pictures.  So, here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment