Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Who am I?

I think a lot of people go through life asking themselves this question - who am I?  I've never been satisfied with the answer to this question.  I've spent most of my adult life feeling that the answer is inadequate - that I am inadequate.  I have become very anti-social, and I'm frequently asking myself why.  Why don't I keep in touch with friends and family?  Why don't I make new friends?  And frankly, the answer is that I don't think I'm interesting enough for consideration.  You would think that I would be past this type of teenage insecurity by now, but it seems to be rearing its ugly head.  All it takes is for somebody to ignore me in a conversation, and it pops right up.  So, in defense, I have just stopped talking to everybody.  This is one of many self-destructive behaviors I would like to put a definite end to.  I've realized lately, though, that I just don't know how.  The answer seems simple - just call everybody and start talking.  But it really isn't that simple when I don't know what to say.  I'm afraid that if I start calling people out of the blue when I haven't called them in years, that they'll think I want something.  And I do!  I just want to reconnect with the world, nothing more.  I need to examine this further - and see if I can come up with a jumping-off point.  I don't want to spend too much more time inside my own head, but I need some creative input.  I'm hoping that some motorcycle time this weekend will help me to get to the answer.  It usually does.  The wind seems to blow the extraneous crap out of the way and allow me to think more clearly about important things.

No comments:

Post a Comment